I think you will agree with me when I say:
Amazon is the place to work, and is the future of retail! However, it’s competitive to land a job there so you need to be prepared!
The truth is with a simple bit of preparation you can ace the Amazon Job Interview.
Here you will find a step-by-step guide on how to prepare for the Amazon Interview, how to answer Amazon Interview Questions, interview tips, and advice on what to wear.
Amazon Job Interview
We all know that some of you are in a rush so we have attached an Amazon Interview Cheat Sheet to help you prepare for the interview. For detailed information on how to prepare for your Amazon interview, we recommend you read the entire post.
Amazon Interview Preparation
As the American Basketball coach Bobby Knight once said, “I don’t believe in luck I believe in preparation”.
0 of 10 questions completed
What is one of the biggest mistakes you can make in an interview?
Not knowing enough about the company. Try this Amazon Quiz and see how much you know about Amazon.
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 10 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 10
What city is Amazon’s head office?Correct
The headquarters are in Seattle, Washington.Incorrect
The headquarters are in Seattle, Washington.
Question 2 of 10
Did Amazon start as an online book store?Correct
True Amazon started as an online book store in 1994.Incorrect
True Amazon started as an online book store in 1994.
Question 3 of 10
Who is the founder of Amazon?Correct
The founder of Amazon is Jeff Bezos.Incorrect
The founder of Amazon is Jeff Bezos.
Question 4 of 10
Amazon provides a grocery delivery service in select cities. What is the name of this delivery service?Correct
AmazonFresh is a grocery delivery service in some U.S. Cities, Tokyo, Berlin, and London.Incorrect
AmazonFresh is a grocery delivery service in some U.S. Cities, Tokyo, Berlin, and London.
Question 5 of 10
Did Amazon acquire Whole Foods in 2017?Correct
True – Amazon agreed to pay 13.7 Billion dollars to acquire Whole Foods.Incorrect
True – Amazon agreed to pay 13.7 Billion dollars to acquire Whole Foods
Question 6 of 10
What is the name of Amazon’s e-reader?Correct
Amazon Kindle devices allow users to browse, buy and download books and newspapers.Incorrect
Amazon Kindle devices allow users to browse, buy and download books and newspapers.
Question 7 of 10
Amazon Web Services is the world’s largest provider of cloud infrastructure services?Correct
In the past, companies had large rooms filled with computers or servers. Today they can host their businesses IT infrastructure at Amazon or what they call the cloud.Incorrect
In the past, companies had large rooms filled with computers or servers. Today they can host their businesses IT infrastructure at Amazon or what they call the cloud.
Question 8 of 10
What benefits are given to Amazon Prime Members?Correct
All of the aboveIncorrect
All of the above
Question 9 of 10
What is the name of Amazon’s smart speaker?Correct
Amazon Echo – You can use the Amazon Echo to make ToDo lists, music play back, setting alarms, streaming pod casts, playing audio books, and providing weather.Incorrect
Amazon Echo – You can use the Amazon Echo to make ToDo lists, music play back, setting alarms, streaming pod casts, playing audio books, and providing weather.
Question 10 of 10
Does Amazon own the book review site Good Reads?Correct
True – In addition to their own review site they did acquire the book review site good reads.Incorrect
True – In addition to their own review site they did acquire the book review site good reads.
Remember knowing as much as you can about the company is key!!! Don’t be afraid to retake the quiz until you get 100%.
Amazon Interview Questions
Why do you want to work for Amazon?
Here’s the deal!
You need to sound enthusiastic when answering this question.
You also need to let the interviewer know why you think Amazon is an amazing place to work!
Possible answers are:
- Mention you would like to grow your career in retail and you feel Amazon is a leader in this industry.
- Say you feel Amazon offers great value for their customers and you would be proud to work for a company that helps fight inflation and low-income families.
- State you think you could learn a lot by working for a Fortune 500 company.
- Mention you feel Amazon cares about their employees. Reference the fact that Amazon announced that it would be extending 6 weeks of paid leave for new mothers and fathers.
What can you tell us about Amazon?
- Amazon.com is the largest internet retailer in the world.
- It was founded by Jeff Bezos on July 5, 1994.
- The head office is in Seattle Washington.
- Amazon first started as an online book store.
- The company produces consumer electronics—notably, Kindle e-readers, Fire tablets, Fire TV, and Echo.
- Amazon Web Services is the world’s largest provider of cloud infrastructure services (basically companies don’t need a huge room filled with powerful computers/servers and they can rent them from Amazon at their location).
- AmazonFresh is a grocery delivery service in select cities.
- AmazonPrime is a subscription service that gives users access to Two-Day Shipping for eligible purchases, unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows with Prime Video, and the ability to borrow books from the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library for $99 a year or $10.99 a month.
- Amazon acquired Whole Foods in June of 2017.
- The Amazon Go store uses a variety of sensors and automatically charges a shopper’s Amazon account as they walk out of the store, therefore there are no checkout lines.
- Amazon derives many of its sales from third-party sellers who sell products on Amazon.
- Amazon participates in affiliate marketing (website owners post Amazon ads on their site and get paid if someone clicks and purchases a product on Amazon).
What is your greatest strength?
Remember your greatest strength should match a required strength on the job description!
- For example, if you are applying for a package handler then your greatest strength could be your ability to work quickly while under pressure.
What is your greatest weakness?
- It’s OK to state your greatest weakness, but it’s not OK to state you don’t have any weaknesses. Also, whatever you list as your greatest weakness make sure you say how you are working on resolving it.
- Make sure your greatest weakness is not a skill required for the position you are interviewing for.
Where do you see yourself in five years?
What is the biggest mistake you can make when answering this question?
The job you are interviewing for does not align with your five-year goal.
- Suppose you are applying for a position of Java developer. If you state you want to become a senior developer or manager of development than the position you are interviewing for matches your goal. However, if you say you want to become an accountant then the role of Java Developer is not a good fit for you.
- Have a look at the Amazon Jobs page and find a job you can see yourself doing in five years. This will make you sound like your a not a flight risk and a good fit for the company.
How did you learn about the position?
Now is a great time to name drop and let them know about anyone you know at Amazon.
- You have a friend who told you about the position. This is great as you may get a positive reference from inside the company.
- I wanted to get into retail and with Amazon being the leader in this field state you were actively looking and applying for jobs at Amazon.
Tell me about the last time you had an incident with a coworker or customer? What happened?
It is OK to have conflict but make sure there is a resolution to that conflict.
- Describe the conflict.
- How did you resolve the conflict?
- What was the outcome?
Note! Make sure the outcome was positive
Why are you leaving your current job?
Let’s first examine what not to say!
- Don’t say you were fired!
- Don’t display any negativity towards your coworkers!
Possible answers are:
- I really enjoyed working at my last company, however, I no longer felt I was growing in my current role and I am now looking for new challenges.
- I was in a contract position and I successfully completed the tasks I was required to do.
How would your previous boss describe you?
Clearly, you don’t want to say anything negative about yourself. Sample answers are:
- Works well under pressure.
- A Team Player.
- Pays great attention to detail.
- Good communicator.
Who are Amazon’s competitors?
This question relates back to how much you know about the company.
- State Brick and Mortar companies like Walmart or Target.
- Online sites such as eBay.
Amazon Interview Tips
- Arrive 10 minutes early.
- Turn off your smartphone.
- Don’t speak too fast as you will sound nervous.
- Don’t speak too slow as you will sound boring.
- Make good eye contact throughout the interview.
Amazon Interview Attire
- If you are applying for a non-management position then dress business casual. If you are applying for a management position then you must dress formally.