Congratulations on getting a Home Depot Interview.
We all know interviews are stressful and competition is intense.
However, with a bit of preparation, you can ace the Home Depot Job Interview.
Here you will find how to successfully answer frequently asked Home Depot interview questions, Home Depot Interview Tips, and advice on how to dress for the interview.
Home Depot Interview Questions
1) What can you tell us about Home Depot?
- The company was founded in 1978.
- The first Home Depot was opened in Atlanta Georgia
- They have over 2200 retail stores around the world.
- There are over 180 Stores in Canada.
- Home Depot is the fifth largest retailer in the world.
- The Home Depot offers Buy Online Deliver from Store. This is a service where you can order online and have your order delivered to your home or job site quickly.
2) Why do you want to work at Home Depot?
- Mention you would be proud to work for a company that donates (according to their website) $270 million to non-profit organizations through the Home Depot Foundation.
- Mention that Home Depot being a Fortune 500 hundred company can help you learn a lot about the retail business.
3) Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Take a look at the career page on Home Depots website. Find a career you can see yourself advancing to and mention that.
4) Why should The Home Depot hire you?
For this question, you will want to reread the job description and find key skills they are looking for and reassure the interviewer you have those skills. Suppose we are doing a Home Depot Cashier Interview, the job description states they are looking for someone who has the following:
- Cashiers play a critical customer service role by providing customers with fast, friendly, accurate and safe service (Skills required: people skills, attention to detail, work well under pressure).
- They proactively seek product/project knowledge to provide customers with information and identify selling opportunities (skill required: quick learner, and sales knowledge).
- They follow all policies and procedures to ensure that shrink is minimized (skill required: attention to detail).
So when answering this question I would state
- I can work in a fast-paced environment and work well under pressure.
- I am a quick learner and will always seek product knowledge to provide the customer with information they need.
- I pay excellent attention to detail.
- I have great people skills and will work well with customers and other home depot sales associates.
5) What experience do you have?
- Tell them about any customer-cashier experience you have.
- Tell them about any handyman experience mention or DIY projects you have worked on.
6) What is Home Depots mission statement?
- The most recent motto is “More saving. More doing”.
7) How would you deal with an upset customer?
- If the customer was unhappy because of a product I would see if they could exchange it. Note become familiar with Home Depots Return Policy as it may help in answering this question.
- If a customer was upset because they could not find a particular item I would locate it for them and not just point them in a general direction.
Home Depot Second Interview
- If you have a second interview at Home Depot not to worry. It is more than likely to be with a manager or someone not in HR. Study the questions above and you will be fine.
Home Depot Interview Tips
- Arrive 10 minutes early
- Turn off your smartphone.
- Learn as much as you can about the company.
- Don’t speak too fast as you will sound nervous.
- Don’t speak too slow as you will sound boring.
- Make eye contact during the entire interview.
Home Depot Interview Attire
- You will always want to dress one step above the interviewer. If you are applying for a position in one of their stores you will want to dress at least business casual.