Congratulations on getting a Marriott Interview at one of their hotels.
We can all agree interviews are stressful and there is a ton of competition for just one position.
However, with a bit of preparation, you can ace the interview and land yourself a career.
Here you will find a step-by-step guide on how to ace the Marriott Interview with advice on how to prepare for the interview, interview questions and how to correctly answer them, interview tips, and advice on what to wear.
Marriott Hotel Interview
Marriott Hotel Interview Preperation
0 of 14 questions completed
What is one of the biggest mistakes you can make in an interview?
Not knowing enough about the company. Try this Marriott Preparation Quiz and see how well you do!
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 14 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
Question 1 of 14
Marriott is a publically traded company?Correct
True – Marriott is traded on the NASDAQIncorrect
True – Marriott is traded on the NASDAQ
Question 2 of 14
Which hotel is the company’s longest operating hotel?Correct
The Key Bridge Marriott is the company’s longest operating hotel.Incorrect
The Key Bridge Marriott is the company’s longest operating hotel.
Question 3 of 14
Who was the founder of Marriott?Correct
John Willard MarriottIncorrect
John Willard Marriott
Question 4 of 14
The founders first started out operating a root beer stand and then expanded into a chain of restaurants and hotels?Correct
True – Marriott was founded by John Willard Marriott in 1927 when he and his wife, Alice Sheets Marriott, opened a root beer stand in Washington, D.C.Incorrect
True – Marriott was founded by John Willard Marriott in 1927 when he and his wife, Alice Sheets Marriott, opened a root beer stand in Washington, D.C.
Question 5 of 14
Marriott, was the first company to offer their customers the ability to book online?Correct
True – In 1995, Marriott was the first hotel company worldwide to offer guests the option to book reservations online, via the company’s implementation of MARSHA (Marriott’s Automatic Reservation System for Hotel Accommodations)Incorrect
True – In 1995, Marriott was the first hotel company worldwide to offer guests the option to book reservations online, via the company’s implementation of MARSHA (Marriott’s Automatic Reservation System for Hotel Accommodations)
Question 6 of 14
Where are the Marriotts headquarters?Correct
Question 7 of 14
Marriott International currently owns Ramada International Hotels and Resorts?Correct
False – Marriott International owned Ramada International Hotels & Resorts until its sale on September 15, 2004 to Cendant.Incorrect
False – Marriott International owned Ramada International Hotels & Resorts until its sale on September 15, 2004 to Cendant.
Question 8 of 14
Marriott announced that all lodging buildings it operated in the United States and Canada would become non-smoking beginning September 2006.Correct
True – Marriott announced that all lodging buildings it operated in the United States and Canada would become non-smoking.Incorrect
True – Marriott announced that all lodging buildings it operated in the United States and Canada would become non-smoking.
Question 9 of 14
Marriott currently owns theme parks?Correct
False – In 1984, Marriott disposed of its theme park divisionIncorrect
False – In 1984, Marriott disposed of its theme park division
Question 10 of 14
Marriott is the first hotel chain to serve food that is completely free of trans fat at all of its North American properties?Correct
Question 11 of 14
In 2015 Marriott acquired 40 Delta Hotels located in Canada?Correct
Question 12 of 14
In 2016 Marriott Acquired Starwood Hotel and Resorts Worldwide to create the world’s largest by hotel property?Correct
Question 13 of 14
Which hotel would you recommend if someone asked you for your advice on which hotel to stay for a longer than usual stay?Correct
Classic Longer Stays are: Marriott Executive Apartments, Residence Inn by Marriott, and TownePlace Suites by MarriottIncorrect
Classic Longer Stays are: Marriott Executive Apartments, Residence Inn by Marriott, and TownePlace Suites by Marriott
Question 14 of 14
The Ritz-Carlton is a subsidiary of Marriott?Correct
True – Mariott began taking a stake in the company in 1995.Incorrect
True – Mariott began taking a stake in the company in 1995.
Remember knowing as much as you can about the company is key!!! Don’t be afraid to retake the quiz until you get 100%.
Marriott Hotel Interview Questions
What can you tell us about Marriott Hotels?
- The company was founded by J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott in 1927.
- There are more than 6000 properties in 122 countries.
- They are a publicly traded company and listed on the NYSE as MAR.
- The head office is in Bethesda, Maryland.
- In 2016, Marriott nearly had revenues of 17 billion dollars.
- Marriott International Inc has 18 brands. Brands include The Ritz-Carlton, Courtyard, Residence Inn and much more.
- On 2016, Marriott announced the acquisition of Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide.
Why do you want to work at Marriott?
- With Marriott being a Fortune 500 company, I feel I can really grow and learn a lot about the hospitality business.
- Who wouldn’t want to work for a company that has been ranked by Fortune Magazine as one of the 25 Best Global Companies to Work For.
What is your dream job?
- This question is designed to see if you are an ambitious person and not just someone who is here to collect a paycheck. They also want to see that your career goals align with their business objectives, so try to align your goals in the hospitality industry. With Marriott being such a big organization, have a look at other jobs on their website and find a position you can see yourself doing in five years. This will make you sound like you are a good fit for their organization.
How would you deal with an angry customer?
- Say you would listen carefully to the customer and give them their full attention. You would then apologize, and do whatever it takes to make the customer feel happy.
How did you hear about this position?
Possible answers are:
- If someone you know works at Marriott and told you about the job, inform the interviewer as that person is more than likely to give you a good reference.
- Say you saw that it was on Fortune magazine’s 100 best companies to work for and you were actively searching their site for positions.
What are your salary requirements?
- You can always flip this question and ask what is the range.
- Michael R. Neece from Interview Mastery says if they ask you this question early it is best to delay the response as they are trying to screen you out.
How well do you handle working under pressure?
- I find stepping back and looking at my priorities and organizing them helps me perform well.
- I am not afraid to ask for help and will always help others when they are overwhelmed.
Questions to ask on a Marriott Hotels Interview
- What do you like best about working here?
- What type of advancement can top performing employees receive?
Marriott Interview Tips
- On their website, they say not to repeat details from your resume on your interview and they want to discuss what is not on your resume.
- Bring extra copies of your resume.
- Arrive 10 minutes early.
- Turn off your smartphone.
- Don’t speak too fast as you will nervous.
- Don’t speak too slow as you will sound boring.
Marriott Interview Attire
- Dress formally if you are interviewing for a front desk position or management. If you are dressing for a housekeeping position then it is ok to dress business casually.