Congratulations on getting a PetSmart Interview.
We all know interviews are stressful and competition is intense.
However, with a small amount of preparation you can ace the PetSmart Job Interview.
Here we will discuss how to successfully answer PetSmart Interview Questions.
PetSmart Interview Process
- The first interview is usually with the assistant manager. If you do well in your first interview, you will have a second interview with the store manager.
PetSmart Interview Questions
Tell us about yourself?
Here’s the deal!
- If you want to get ahead of the competition then you need to show the interviewer that you have related work experience.
- For example, if you are on a cashier interview talk about any cash handling or customer service experience you have.
- If you don’t have any experience it’s ok as PetSmart hire lots of first-time employees. Talk about any volunteer experience or say you have been focusing on school and now you want to prove yourself in the workforce.
What can you tell us about PetSmart?
- PetSmart, Inc. is a large specialty pet retailer of services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets.
- PetSmart operates more than 1,500 pet stores in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico.
- PetSmart opened its first two stores in 1987 in Arizona under the name PetFood warehouse.
- In 1989, the name and logo changed from PetFood Warehouse to PetsMart.
- In 2005, the company changed its name again from PetsMart to PetSmart. This was to signify that they sold more than just pet food.
- The company is publically traded and listed on the NASDAQ exchange.
- In addition to selling pet food, PetSmart sells pet products, dog training, doggie daycare, pet hotels, and pet grooming.
- In celebration of its 30th anniversary, PetSmart launched its Buy a Bag, Give a Meal™ program in March 2017. For every bag of cat or dog food purchased March 1 – Dec. 31, 2017, PetSmart will donate a meal to pets in need and expects to donate more than 60 million meals in 2017.
Why do you want to work for PetSmart?
You will really want to wow the interviewer with your response.
Here are some great answers:
- Say you read that PetSmart formed PetSmart Charities Inc., a nonprofit organization dedicated to finding homes for homeless pets. PetSmart has organized over 7 million adoptions. Mention you would be proud to work for a company that started such a wonderful charity.
- Say you would like to grow your career in retail and feel you could learn a lot at PetSmart. State you read how PetSmart has evolved into becoming more than just a pet supply store to a solution-oriented company (remember PetSmart offers more than just pet food. They offer everything from dog training to pet grooming to pet adoption).
Why should I hire you?
What you want to do here is reread the job description and find key skills they are looking for and reassure the interviewer you have those skills.
For example, suppose you are on a PetSmart Cashier Interview. The job description states
Cashiers are an integral part of creating sincere connections with Pet Parents. Cashiers provide excellent customer service by greeting our Pet Parents upon arrival and ensuring they had an outstanding shopping experience upon check-out. Being a cashier is more than just ringing up merchandising and taking payments. We look to our cashiers as the ambassadors of the entire store. Our cashiers have extensive knowledge of our products and services and provide energetic customer service.
Here we can see you need good communication skills as you will be working with customers. They have to be knowledgeable about products which require the ability to learn quickly. You must be energetic most likely because it can get very busy so you need to work well under pressure.
So in this example when asked why should PetSmart hire you as their cashier say
- I have excellent communication skills which will allow me to work well with customers.
- I am a quick learner which will allow me to be knowledgeable about all PetSmart products and answer any questions the customer may have.
- I am energetic which will allow me to work well under pressure when times get busy.
How would you define excellent customer service?
- The staff can answer any questions the customer has about the products or pets.
- The store is clean on the inside and on the outside.
- The customer is never waiting too long to get service.
What hours can you work?
- The more flexible you are with your hours the better chance you have to land the job. This is especially true if you are on a PetSmart Early Morning Stocker Interview.
Where do you see yourself in five years?
Remember you need an answer to this question as it shows you have goals and ambition!
- If you don’t know what you want to do in five years search for jobs on popular jobs sites and find a position you can see yourself doing in five years. Perhaps you can search for jobs in retail management, marketing, veterinarian or veterinarian technician and see of those jobs interest you.
- Tip! Have a look at other PetSmart Jobs at the management level (this will make you sound like you are not a “job hopper”).
Why do you apply for this position?
- If you are on a cashier interview say you are upbeat and outgoing which will allow you to work well with customers.
- If you are on a bather interview say you enjoy working with Pets and even if they are difficult to work with you will enjoy the challenge.
- If you are on a stocker interview say you are very organized and thought you would be a good fit for this role.
Have you ever worked with Pets?
- If you don’t have any professional experience, talk about any personal experience you have with your own pets.
Is there any type of pet you are afraid to work with?
- If you are afraid of a particular animal then let the interviewer know. Follow up with saying you are if you had the proper training you would feel more comfortable.
Describe a time you provided excellent customer service?
- Try and come up with a specific example from previous work experience.
How would you deal with an upset customer?
State you would do the following
- I would listen to the customer and find out why he or she is upset.
- I would sympathize and show the customer I care.
- I would try and solve the problem.
- If I could not solve the problem I would ask my manager what to do.
How do you deal with stress?
- Say you remind yourself it is important to stay calm.
- First, you prioritize your issues and if they are not critical you deal with the ones you can finish the fastest.
- Say you are not afraid to ask for help when available.
Why did you leave your last job?
If you had a conflict with your former employee it is best not to mention it!
Here are potential responses:
- Although I enjoyed my last job I felt I had learned all I could in my role and now I am looking for new challenges.
- I wanted to focus on school.
- My commute was too far a distance.
PetSmart Second Interview
- The second interview will be with the store manager. If you study the questions above you will do fine!
PetSmart Interview Attire
- If you are interviewing for an entry-level position such as a pet care interview associate or a bather then dress business casually.
- If you are interviewing for a management position then dress formally.
PetSmart Drug Test
- PetSmart wants to maintain a workplace which is free of drug and alcohol abuse. All applicants for employment are subject to drug testing.
PetSmart Interview Tips
- Learn as much as you can about PetSmart. Be sure to learn all the products PetSmart offers and don’t be afraid to read their annual reports.
- Arrive 10 minutes early and do not arrive too early!
- Don’t speak too fast as you will sound nervous or too slow as you will sound boring.
- Make good eye contact throughout the interview and sit up straight.
- If the interviewer says you can ask questions any time take the hint and don’t wait until the end.