Congratulations on getting an interview at Walmart for the position of cashier. To be successful in the interview we must first revisit the job description and the duties the cashier performs. We will be better prepared for the interview after we have a better idea of exactly what a Walmart cashier does.
Walmart Cashier Job Description
Walmart considers their cashiers more than just an item scanner. They want their cashiers to understand how important their role is, as they are vital to giving the customer a positive last impression as they leave the store. They emphasize how important it is to greet every customer with a smile, and thank each customer as they leave. They mention the pace of Walmart is fast and you need to juggle tasks several tasks at once. These tasks include explaining the price, bagging items properly, counting cash back, and keeping your area clean.
Walmart Cashier Duties
Duties for a cashier at Walmart include greeting customers, checking out customers while standing for long periods of time, keeping your area clean, answering any of the customer’s questions, and being able to help other Walmart Associates as needed.
Walmart Casher Job Interview Questions
Why do you want to be a cashier?
- State you enjoy working with people and hope to work in a fast-paced environment like Walmart.
Why should Walmart hire you to be a cashier?
After reviewing the job description and duties we know they are looking for someone who is good with customers (gives customers a positive last impression when leaving the store), good with multitasking (scanning items, answering questions, and bagging items -all at once), and someone who is clean and organized (keeps a clean workstation).
Therefore a possible answer to this question is
You should hire me because
- I have strong people skills which will allow me to provide excellent customer service.
- I am good at multitasking and will not have any issues scanning items, answering questions, and bagging items during peak times.
- I am clean and organized and will always keep my workstation clean as I know it is important to make a good impression on the customer.
Where do you see yourself in five years?
- This question is designed to see if you have goals and to see if you are a good fit for Walmart. The best advice I can in give for this question is to find a position at Walmart that you can see yourself doing in five years. If you stay at Walmart then they will be more likely to train you and you will not be perceived as a “job hopper”.
Any questions for us?
- Your job description talks about the scanning percentage goal and the item per hour goal. Can you tell me more what these goals entail? [be sure your job description has this]
- How long is the cashier training sessions last for? [again this is in the job description I am reading]